Family Educational Rights Privacy Act of 1974

The Family Educational Right and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records.  

These rights include: 

  • The right to inspect and view the student's education records within 45 days of the day the college receives a request for access. Students should submit written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect to the Registrar, Vice President of Student Affairs or the appropriate official. The college official will arrange for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be. If the college official does not maintain the records requested, the official should advise the student of correct official. 
  • The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are incorrect or misleading. Students may ask the college to amend a record that they believe is incorrect or misleading. They should write the college official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is incorrect or misleading. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedure will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing. 
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research or support staff position (including law enforcement personnel and health staff). A school official also refers to a person or company with whom the college has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her task. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to view an education record to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. 
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failure by the college to comply with requirements of FERPA. Students may request release of college records by completing the Authorization for Release of Records form prior to releasing the documents.